5 Unexpected Home Hazards #5

#5- Laundry and Dishwasher Pods

Sadly, we all heard last year about the baby who died after ingesting a laundry pod. Several parents have mentioned this tragedy because these detergents are found in most homes and they look like candy or small toys to children.

In a single year, 17,230 children under the age of six have been accidentally poisoned by these packets. Several organizations have called for the Consumer Product Saftey Commission to require manufacturers to design childproof packaging for these pods.

Children who bite and ingest the detergent can immediately go into respiratory distress and vomit violently. If the eye comes into contact with the pods, exposure can cause severe irritation or even a temporary loss of vision.

If you have an infant or young child at home, please remove these products from your home, or store them in a locked cabinet. We should be vigilint daily for childhood safety.